Sunday, February 7, 2010

Honest Abe I'm Not

I'd like to think I am a fairly honest trust worthy person. I believe in "What you do comes back to you", "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", and anything you dishonestly "get away with", you will pay back three fold in the future. If a local business I frequently visit gives me the wrong change I'd let them know without hesitation, if I saw someone drop something in front of me, I'd pick it up and alert them to it and if I found some one's wallet or purse with money in it, I'd at least take the cash out, sort of service fee for my putting it in the nearest mail box to get the important info contained back to it's owner. But I don't believe in stupidity.

So, I'm standing in the check out line with my shopping cart of goodies along with a 20 pound container of cat liter. When I approach the counter, I ask the checker if I need to put it on the counter or can she scan it in my basket. "No, leave it as I can scan it there," I am assured. After everything is rung up, I never saw her come to the cart and again asked her if that included my cat liter. "Opps no it does not" and I tell her, "Cause there is no way I want free cat liter as I will pay for it later in some other form." She smiles and proceeds back to her register hits enter and tells me to swipe my card. But the price is exactly what she told me 15 seconds ago, so I politely keep my mouth shut and agree to my purchase.

Now I have asked her twice to charge me for my cat liter and even explained how I don't want it free and she still gives it to me free. I guess "Honest Abe" I am not and as I walk away with my purchase as I felt her stupidity shouldn't be rewarded with my honesty. But,


It Is What it Is....



and now I am wondering if I just "shop lifted." I'm grateful for the free kitty liter as my three little ones will make good use of it but I don't feel good for getting away with it as I know that's why everything costs more in stores as items are stolen or even in this case, given away.